Motivational Interviewing for Environmental Communications
Centre for Social Innovation - Annex, 720 Bathurst Street, Toronto
This skills training workshop is listed on Eventbrite and is $15.
What can I say to help someone change?
Tackling climate change is daunting. How do we solve a global problem when it seems like so many people are disengaged? As environmentally-minded people we generally voice our reasons to change with people. Behavioural sciences tell us these reasons need to come from our audiences.
This workshop will introduce concepts in the behavioural sciences, helping our participants understand how to motivate change in others. Participants will practice proven behavioural techniques in this interactive learning experience.
This session will include:
- Introduction to MI as a new approach to environmental communications
- Guided, experiential practice of new skills
- Lean learning methodologies with debriefs and group interaction
At the end of this session you will be able to:
- Understanding diverse applications of MI
- Recognize verbal expressions that indicate barriers to and opportunities for behavioural change - as well as introductory responses to both
- Leave with a method to channel empathic understanding to reduce resistance to climate initiatives
About the facilitator:
Vince Schutt is a behavioural chance specialist and co-founder of Enviromentum, a project of Tides Canada. Enviromentum is an official TDSB partner, a member of TCAN, and collaborates with a diverse group of stakeholders to advance the principles of motivational interviewing in the application of environmental communications.
*This course is prerequisite to our intermediate MI course.