The Toronto Climate Action Network (TCAN) is a network of action-oriented organizations working together to address the threat of climate change. To accomplish this goal TCAN will seek to:
- share information among TCAN members through the use of social media, websites and a common online calendar of events;
- foster collaboration and coordination among member groups and with other organizations sharing similar objectives and goals to maximize group success;
- start a cooperative outreach and education program to improve public awareness, understanding and support for effective action against climate change;
- persuade all levels of government of the urgent need for effective, science-based policies to combat the threat of climate change.
An ad-hoc committee of members of various GTA climate action groups conducted a survey of participants who attended a roundtable that was held in January 2012 as well as representatives of groups that did not attend the roundtable. Based on the results of that survey we decided to proceed with a meeting (summit). The summit was held on August 27, 2012. One outcome of the summit was that the participating groups agree on a single demand to submit to the federal government. This demand would also involve actions to reinforce this demand.
On January 19, 2013 we met to discuss the formation of a network of Toronto climate action groups. Nearly 30 individuals representing approximately 15 groups agreed that a network was necessary. A transitional team was established to set up the framework for the network.
At the March meeting, the transitional team presented the draft rules and regulations for the network. The representatives present unanimously endorsed them after recommending a number of modifications.
Our first General Meeting was held on March 11, 2013 and a Steering Committee was elected.
Treasurer: Caleb Woolcott
Current members of the Steering Committee are:
Co-Chair: Tara Seucharan (Council of Canadians)
Co-Chair: Kathryn Tait (Post Carbon Toronto)
Secretary: Dusha Sritharan (Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA))
- Emmay Mah (People's Climate Movement)
- Katie Harper (Project Neutral)
- Faizaan Khan (Toronto Youth Environment Council (TYEC))
- Stefan Hostetter (Green Majority)
Joining Toronto Climate Action Network
If you are a member of a group whose focus is climate change and are interested in joining TCAN, please see the application instructions, above left.